The new machine is chosen !

13 h 51

It is done, I chose my machine. Some of you will agree and some of you will not. As Einstein said, everything it relative to the position of the observer.

But before I tell you which machine I bought, I have to say that Bernina, Juki, Janome, Brother, Pfaff, Viking, Elna all make very similar machines in terms of power, stitches, functions and so forth. In equivalent price range, you have equivalent products.

At the end, I hesitated between the Juki F600 and the Pfaff Expression 3.5. Well Juki lost for two reasons: 1) the store is open only during my office hours. I would have to miss work to bring my machine for its biannual check up or buy new feet etc, and 2) It was 12% more expensive.  I thought that the two machines gave very similar sewing results.

I like the Pfaff for:
-The IDT feeding system that can take layers of wool, denim or leather with such an ease, I fell off my chair, the result with fine silk was as good,
-I love the ergonomic of the control buttons, they work well with my brain ;-) I can change from one stitch to the other in a blink and the machine can memorize sequences (as other machines do of course)
-The fancy feet are not too expensive
-The stitches are beautiful and regular, the tension is automatically ajusted,
-There are 37 needle positions from right to left
-The size of the working space vs size of the machine is great
-I have a 9mm wide zig-zag, I love wide zigzag as decorative stitch <3 br="">-It is not noisy
-The price vs quality is very good
-The store gives very good service

On point remains, the button holes. Are they up to my dreams NO. Perfect NO ! Very nice YES! I have not seen one home sewing machine that makes commercial looking buttonholes. With very light fabric like chiffon or charmeuse, I have to test it with very fine thread and needles. But in the store they were nice. On fine, medium or heavy fabric, they are very nice or even very very nice. I will have to test the manual buttonhole function at home with cord. Testing, sampling before sewing will be required. In the metro this morning I was reading the manual of instruction...  what a nerd I am.

Voilà !




I am not a gadget person, no bells, no whistles.

Voilà c'est fait, j'ai choisi ma machine.

Avant de vous dire pourquoi j'ai fait ce choix, je dois souligner que  Bernina, Juki, Janome, Brother, Pfaff, Viking, Elna fabriquent tous des machines intéressantes et performantes. Par gamme de prix, la qualité d'une à l'autre se ressemble et les fonctions se chevauchent beaucoup. Le choix n'a pas été facile.

En fin de course, j'ai hésité entre la Juki F600 et la Pfaff Expression 3.5. La balance a penché en faveur de Pfaff car la Juki était 12 % plus couteuse et le détaillant est ouvert uniquement durant mes heures de bureau. Comme j'ai l'habitude de passer régulièrement pour des aiguilles, des pieds, des vérifications et ajustements, je ne trouvais pas ça pratique. Mais comprenez moi, il s'agit d'une super machine.

J'ai choisi la Pfaff Expression 3.5 pour:
-Le système d'entrainement IDT qui est l'équivalent d'avoir une Subaru à traction intégrale. Tout avance si régulièrement avec de grosses épaisseurs de cuir, de laine ou de denim. Tout avance aussi bien avec de la fine soie
-Le point est régulier et parfaitement balancer avec une ajustement de tension automatique,
-Les contrôles sont faciles et si ergonomiques. Mon cerveau les comprends bien ;-) Elle garde aussi en mémoire mes combinaisons de points. Un must pour la lingerie,
-Les pieds de "fantaisie" ne coûtent pas une fortune
- Il y a 37 positions d'aiguilles de droit à gauche
-Le ratio espace de travail vs taille de la machine convient à ma petite maison
-Elle offre un ZigZag de 9mm, que j'adore comme point décoratif
-Le moteur est silencieux...  pas de machine industrielle dans un appartement style loft 
-Le rapport qualité prix est excellent
-La boutique offre un service sans faille depuis 30 ans.
  
Pour ce qui est de la fonction boutonnière, aucune machine de maison ne donne un résultat de machine commerciale. Ainsi, les boutonnières de la Pfaff sont belles. Renversantes, non. Mes exigences sont très élevées malheureusement. Il me reste beaucoup de temps devant moi pour tester tissus, fils, entoilages, aiguilles et réglages de la machine. Je suis certaine qu'elles me plairont, je suis patiente. Je dois apprendre à me servir de la fonction boutonnière manuelle dont le pied permet de mettre une cordelette comme dans la fabrication de boutonnière à la main.


Des années de plaisir en perspective!

You Might Also Like

11 commentaires

  1. Serait-il impoli de te demander où tu as acheté ta machine?

    RépondreEffacer
  2. @Veronik, J'ai acheté ma machine chez Couture Gema.

    RépondreEffacer
  3. The perfect choice! I own a Pfaff and it has been serving me very well!

    RépondreEffacer
    Réponses
    1. Tany you would see miracles with the worst machine on hearth ;-) I will let you know how much I love it.

      Effacer
  4. Bien contente pour toi Anne-Marie! Je te souhaite beaucoup de plaisir avec ta nouvelle machine!!

    RépondreEffacer
    Réponses
    1. Merci Virginie! J'ai très hâte de passer la chercher. Elle m'attend au magasin. Ce weekend nous lançons notre relation amicale en cousant une robe de soirée pour mon amie Florence. Madame Pfaff commence en grande.

      Effacer
  5. Thanks for the review - I like Pfaff as well, but know it mainly by reputation. I own Bernina - and it is a workhorse, although buttonholes are a problem too. Would love to test sew on one in Germany. Here in Cyprus the only machine you can buy is a simple mass produced Singer. Also, thanks for adding my new blog to your blogroll :)

    RépondreEffacer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Marina ! Long life to your new blog. I am looking forward to read the new posts.

      Effacer
  6. Congratulations!! What a great choice. One of my machines is a Pfaff and I love it.
    I think you will have many pleasant hours with your new machine :)

    RépondreEffacer
  7. Congratulations! I have a Pfaff too, and am very happy with it as well. I agree on the buttonholes though. My old Elna made lovely buttonholes, but i don't find many new machines that do as well. I think you need less automation and more individual adjustment variability to have really great buttonholes.

    RépondreEffacer

Popular Posts